State of the West 2018: Investing in the Future West– Banks and Infrastructure
Wednesday, December 5, 2018 -
5:00pm to 8:30pm
SIEPR Gunn Building
Koret-Taube Conference Center
366 Galvez St.
The State of the West Symposium is a biennial gathering at Stanford University to take stock of the economic and fiscal health of the western region. It features academic researchers, business and investment practitioners, and other stakeholders concerned with the well-being of the millions of Americans who dwell on the sunset side of the Hundredth Meridian.
4:30 - 5:00pm: Registration
5:00pm: Welcome Remarks
- Mark G. Duggan, The Trione Diector of SIEPR, Wayne and Jodi Cooperman Professor of Economics, Stanford University
5:15 - 6:00pm: Opening Keynote
- Randal K. Quarles, Vice Chairman for Supervision of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors
- Moderator: Monika Piazzesi, Joan Kenney Professor of Economics, School of Humanities and Sciences, Senior Fellow, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research, Stanford University
6:00 - 7:00pm: Reception
7:00 - 8:30pm: Dinner and Fireside chat with Governor Brian Sandoval
- The Honorable Brian Sandoval, Governor of Nevada
- Moderator: Bruce E. Cain, Spence and Cleone Eccles Family Director, Bill Lane Center for the American West, Charles Louis Ducommun Professor in Humanities and Sciences, Professor of Political Science, Stanford University
Vice Chairman for Supervision of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors
Randal K. Quarles took office as a member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System on October 13, 2017, to fill an unexpired term ending on January 31, 2018. He was reappointed to the Board and sworn in on July 23, 2018, for a term ending January 31, 2032. He was sworn in as Vice Chairman for Supervision on October 13, 2017. His term as Vice Chairman for Supervision ends on October 13, 2021. Prior to his appointment to the Board, Mr. Quarles was founder and managing director of the Cynosure Group, a Utah-based investment firm. Before founding the Cynosure Group, Mr. Quarles was a partner at The Carlyle Group, a private equity firm based in Washington, DC.
Governor of Nevada
Brian Sandoval was elected the 30th Governor of Nevada in 2010 and re-elected in 2014. Prior to serving as Governor, he served as a United States District Judge for the District of Nevada. Governor Sandoval has also served as Attorney General of Nevada, Chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission and in the Nevada Legislature. Sandoval’s accomplishments as Governor include working to make Nevada the most veteran and military-friendly state in the nation, reconstructing Nevada’s approach to economic development, expanding health care coverage, implementing new, innovative gaming policy and leading the effort for an unprecedented investment in and modernization of Nevada’s public education system.