Since 1975, the National Conference of State Legislatures has been the champion for state lawmaking bodies in the U.S.. NCSL has helped states remain strong and independent by giving them the tools, information and resources to craft the best solutions to difficult problems. NCSL’s Elections and Redistricting Program provides research and analysis on elections and redistricting policy issues for legislators and legislative staff; provides learning opportunities through meetings and webinars for legislators and legislative staff; and connects legislators and legislative staff from around the country with their counterparts with a shared interest in elections and redistricting.
NCSL has been the premier source for procedures relating to initiative and referendum since 2000. The intern will inventory what NCSL's records, research what has changed through enacted legislation, update our resources on the web and potentially reorganize our web presence, and write about the topic for our blog, our elections newsletter and possibly our magazine.
- Learn to use StateNet to find bills
- Learn to use WestLaw to find statutes and court cases
- Make a “map” of our initiative and referendum materials and propose changes for consideration by the program director
- Follow through with the changes by editing our web materials
- Write about what has changed (see above) from political and administrative perspectives
- Respond to constituent requests for information on initiative and referendum (these Q and As are the bread and butter of NCSL’s mission)
- Present findings to NCSL staff via powerpoint or similar
- Assist in designing/managing a webinar
- Enthusiasm or and a “can do” attitude
- An interest in elections or politics
- Ability to complete work without inserting political views
- Comfort with emailing and telephoning legislators and legislative staff
- Familiarity with Word and Powerpoint or similar
Good skills with Excel; data analysis skills; data visualization skills.